If you have not received training from your teacher or a lab manager, STOP. You must receive training before you may use the Hasselblad Flextight X1 Scanner, its accessories, and accompanying software. NO EXCEPTIONS
Turning the Scanner On
1. The negative carriers are available for checkout from the lab monitor on duty.
2. Open the scanner door.
3. Push the red power button on right.
4. Load the negative carrier in the scanner.
5. Load the negative in the negative carrier.
Using the Scanner Software
1. Open FlexColor Software from the Dock or Finder
2. Set Following Settings:
- Setup - Select Film Type
- Frame - Select Image Size
- 35 mm
- 24x36 = portrait oriented 35mm negative
- 36x24 = landscape oriented 35mm negative
- Medium Format Transparency
- 60x70 (coming soon)
- Large Format Transparency
- 35 mm
- Mode - Color Mode
- RGB - AdobeRGB (1998)
- Grayscale - Gray Gamma 2.2
- CMYK - U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
- Recommended Settings:
- RGB 16 bit
- Grayscale 16 bit
- Recommended Settings:
3. Click Preview Button
- Scanner will pull negative in for quick preview
- Preview of the scan area will appear
4. Select scan area by clicking and dragging in display area
Scan Options and Image Corrections
- Turn Autofocus on or off during final scan
6. Color Info Window
- Click the Color Info Window button to check color and exposure values in your image.
- Shows LAB values in the image
- Use the point selector to show several point values throughout the image
- You can make Exposure corrections with the histogram tool.
- You can adjust the Contrast, Brightness, and Shadow Depth in the condensed Gradations menu.
- You can adjust curve levels in the expanded Gradations menu
- Click the gray arrow next to "Curves" to expand this option.
9. Color Corrections
- Fix color cast or hue issues throughout the image
- Change the color channel to adjust different channels in your image.
- Apply sharpening or blur to image
- Reduce noise in images
- Refine Unsharp Mask settings by expanding the Unsharp Mask menu.
10. Auto Corrections
- Automatically adjust exposure, contrast, and color corrections to the image
11. Reload Corrections
- Reset all corrections performed to the image
Output Size Options
- You can manually adjust the output size of the image
- You can adjust the output resolution
- Select "Other… "if the resolution you prefer is not listed
- Max Optical Output Resolutions and scan speeds:
- 24x34 - 6300ppi - 7.15 minutes
- 36x24 - 6300ppi - 7.15 minutes
- 60x60 - 3200ppi - 6.02 minutes
- 4"x5" - 2040ppi - 5.08 minutes
- Zoom in and out, fit to screen
- Detail window
- You can use the detail window to get a closer view of sections of your image.
- Rotate preview to correct orientation
- Click Scan Button
- Expand Save Options (Optional)
- Select Save Location
- Set file name
- Select Format
- Scan will be saved to save location, time will vary depending on image size, resolution, auto focus.
Turning the Scanner off
1. Remove the negative carrier from the scanner.
2. Turn the scanner off using the red power button on the right.
3. Wait for the scanner's lights to turn off and the negative carrier clamp to detract into the scanner.
4. Close the scanner door.
5. Return the negative carriers to the lab monitor on duty.